CHEMICAL WASTE PROJECT
COLLABORATIVE ENGAGEMENT FOR RESEARCH, TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT IN HANDLING OF CHEMICAL AND HAZARDOUS WASTE
About the Project:
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change is the nodal ministry for Chemical and Waste(C&W) related Multi-Lateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs). MEAs are a set of legally binding or voluntary instruments which comprise of the policy framework intended to promote chemical safety, prevent environmental pollution, eliminate/reduce adverse impacts on human health and promote sustainable development.
India is a party to the following C& W MEAs:
- The Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movement of Hazardous Wastes and their Disposal
- The Rotterdam Convention on the Prior Informed Consent Procedure for certain Hazardous Chemicals and Pesticides in International Trade
- The Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants
- The Minamata Convention on Mercury
- Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management
The Centre for Environmental Law Education, Research and Advocacy (CEERA), NLSIU is one of the premier legal research institutes having a presence in areas of consultancy, advocacy, training, project and continuing legal education. Apart from handling environmental conservation work involving policy analysis, campaigning, community capacity building and strategic level intervention on critical environmental issues, CEERA-NLSIU is a resource centre for environmental law teaching and research. MoEF&CC has engaged CEERA-NLSIU in this Three Year Project to assist and support the Ministry in handling various matters covered and related to C& W MEAs.
The objective of the Project is for CEERA- NLSIU to assist MoEF&CC in coordinating and implementing the matters related to the C&W related MEAs and to:
- Introduce and establish a programmatic approach to handing C&W MEAs in MoEF& CC
- Identify and develop a long-term strategic partnership to provide key legal, policy and strategic inputs to the Ministry in the management of C&W MEAs
- To act as a repository of knowledge and create as well as maintain the database for C&W MEAs related issues in the country and MEAs related matters
- To assist and support MoEF&CC during national and international meetings on C&W MEAs and related matters.
- Conduct demand-driven and follow up research to assist in the negotiations and issues pertaining to the Convention that could help in strategizing the national priorities
- Conduct stakeholder consultations, capacity building programmes and network with other institutions and agencies.